Perhaps the most serious heresy taught and promoted by the PCG is their teaching about God. According to the PCG, the Doctrine of the Trinity, which has been taught by the Christian Church since its inception, is actually something that was devised by Satan to deceive the Church. According to the PCG there are only two person’s in the Godhead, namely God the Father and God the Son, Jesus Christ. The PCG denies the deity of the Holy Spirit, claiming He is nothing more than the power through which the Father and the Son created the universe.
The PCG goes on to teach that God is actually a family. They claim the Trinity limits God to only three, and this undermines the purposes of God.1 They teach that Jesus was the first to enter the God Family, but that many more have done so since, saying “There may become billions of God persons.”2 Steven Flurry, the son of founder Gerald Flurry and the Dean of Students of the Herbert W. Armstrong College, wrote that this is “one of the very foundational doctrines of the [church].”3 Gerald Flurry himself expands on this by writing, “the kingdom of God is the Family of God. And who is the head of the family? Christ? Of course not! The Father is the head of the family. God the Father is the central figure of the gospel!”4
In addition to denying the Trinity (which alone refutes any claim of being Christian the PCG makes), Gerald Flurry also claims to be a prophet of God.5 Flurry has made numerous prophecies over the years, and many of them have obviously failed.
A False Prophet
Jesus warned us in Matthew 7:15-23 that false prophets would come and attempt to deceive the Church, and, in fact, we are told to test the spirits to see if they are from God, for this very reason (1 John 4:1). Of all the tests of a prophet to determine of they are truly from God or if they are a false prophet, is if all of their prophecies come true (Deuteronomy 18:21–22). A true prophet will have 100% of his prophecies come true, and a false prophet won’t. Gerald Flurry does not pass this test.
Among the many failed prophecies of Gerald Flurry are:
1. Barack Obama will be the last U.S. President.6 [an obvious failed prophecy]
2. The Supreme Court will overturn the 2020 election.7 [an obvious failed prophecy]
3. Donald Trump will remain in office as the President of the United States.8 [an obvious failed prophecy]
4. Pope Benedict XVI will resurrect the Holy Roman Empire.9 [Benedict is now 94 years old and resigned from the position of pope in 2013, without resurrecting the Holy Roman Empire]
5. The PCG will acquire the Hanstead House in Bricket Wood, Hertfordshire, U.K. (the former site of Armstrong’s Ambassador College).10 [the property has since been converted into luxury apartments]
6. There will be an archaeological museum established in Jerusalem.11 [Not much of a prophecy since the Rockefeller Archaeological Museum opened in Jerusalem in 1938] And the big one,
7. Jesus will return in 2020.12 [Newsflash, He hasn’t returned yet, as of 26 June 2021]
What are we to do with a false prophet such as Gerald Flurry? We are to ignore him, as he does not speak for God. Lucky for Flurry we do not live in Israel during the Old Testament time period: “If any prophet dares to speak a message in My name that I have not commanded him to speak, or to speak in the name of other gods, that prophet must be put to death” (Deuteronomy 18:20 ESV).
Jesus, however, has told us what will happen to those false prophets if they do not repent of their sin, and believe in Him: “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits. ‘Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; leave Me, you who practice lawlessness.’” (Matthew 7:19–23 NASB).
The Bible describes false prophets like Gerald Flurry as adulterous, treacherous, drunkards, wicked, liars, who are associated with divination and witchcraft (Jer.14:14; 23:11,14; Zep.3:4; Isa.28:7; Eze.22:28; Acts13:6).
The Prophet That Proceeds The Messiah
And so they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” And he said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” – John 1:21 NASB
Not only does Gerald Flurry claim to be a prophet of God, but he actually claims to be The Prophet of John 1:21.13 In a sermon titled, The Plain Truth About Malachi’s Message and That Prophet, Flurry said, “If you just study this book, you'll know who That Prophet is... It does set me apart from other ministers... Is God going to give us something like this that we cannot prove?.. [It is] revelation from God - from outer space - way beyond Mars... If it doesn't, I'm crazy.”14 Flurry claims to speak for God,15 to receive new revelation from God,16 and to actually hear the voice of God.17
Seated on the Throne of David
There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace
On the throne of David and over his kingdom,
To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness
From then on and forevermore.
The zeal of the Lord of armies will accomplish this. – Isaiah 9:7 NASB
Herbert W. Armstrong, the founder of the Worldwide Church of God, was a firm believer in British Israelism. This is the belief that the lost tribes of Israel migrated up into Europe, making their way to the United Kingdom, and eventually to America. Armstrong believed that it was these lost tribes who were God’s chosen people. If you haven’t seen it yet, look again. Europeans, the British, Americans. In other words, according to Herbert W. Armstrong the lost tribes of Israel, the true chosen people of God, are White people. Herbert W. Armstrong was more than just a little racist.
In keeping with this line of thought, Armstrong believed that someone from the line of David must be seated on the throne of David until the Messiah comes. In Armstrong’s mind this meant a White person, and obviously they had to be of royal blood. Following the migration of the lost tribe from Europe to Great Britain, to America, the last place with any royalty was Great Britain. Therefore, the “Throne of David” must be the royal throne of Great Britain, and the English monarch the one who is proceeding the Messiah.18
This was the prevalent teaching until Gerald Flurry started the Philadelphia Church of God. Flurry wrote in his book The New Throne of David, that he “heard a strong voice... This voice said, ‘There is a new stone of destiny and a new throne of David.’”19 This voice revealed to Gerald Flurry (remember, he claims to receive new revelation from God) that in January 2017 everything changed, and the Throne of David is no longer in Great Britain.20 Flurry explained, “God has to have a king in this Church who is a descendant of David... God has given us a new stone... There is a NEW KING and a NEW STONE... Even now, the United Kingdom NO LONGER HAS THE THRONE OF DAVID. And Jacob's pillar stone is no longer relevant.”21 Gerald Flurry says this is the “most exciting new revelation God has given this Church...this is an explosive understanding that you can prove right from your Bible!”22
Since Flurry has declared himself to be The Prophet of John 1:21, and the new man on the Throne of David preparing the way for the Messiah, he has also solemnly stated to the PCG to be “prepared to go to the cave of Adullum, the place of safety. Make this part of your thinking. … We must get our minds conditioned to do that!” And once there a “converted” man in the PCG, a descendant of King David, an “apostle” will sit on the throne as a king. “In the Philadelphia Church of God THERE IS A KING who is led and directed by God!”23
We read about the Cave of Adullam in 1 Samuel 22, where we learn it was base of operations from which King David led his army of about 400 men when he was fleeing from Saul who sought to kill him. So not only is Gerald Flurry claiming to be a prophet, but The Prophet of John 1:21, an apostle, a king, and the new King David sitting on the Throne of David, preparing the way for the Messiah.
The Philadelphia Church of God has all the hallmarks of a pseudo-Christian cult, and one to stay far away from!
1. Mystery of the Ages by Herbert W. Armstrong, Copyright © 1985-2007, 2009, 2015, 2020 by the Philadelphia Church of God, pg 37.
3. God Is a Family by Stephen Flurry, Copyright © 1995, 1999, 2004, 2010, 2020 by the Philadelphia Church of God, pp 1-2.
4. Malachi’s Message to God’s Church Today by Gerald Flurry, Copyright © 1990, 1995, 1999, 2004, 2008, 2014 by the Philadelphia Church of God, pg 51.
5. "Who Is 'That Prophet' " (https://www.thetrumpet.com/literature/books_and_booklets/266).
6. "Gerald Flurry's False Prophecy About Trump and Jeroboam" (https://exitsupportnetwork.com/g
7. Flurry, Stephen (December 9, 2020). "The Communist Chinese Infiltration of America" (https://w
8. Flurry, Gerald (January 2021). "Why Donald Trump Will Remain America's President" (https://w
9. Sell, Eric (February 12, 2013). "This Old Pope" (https://armstrongdelusion.wordpress.com/201
10. "Bricket Wood, England Campus For Sale (Again)" (https://armstrongismlibrary.blogspot.com/2
012/10/bricket-wood-england-campus-for-sale.html). October 12, 2012.
11. Flurry, Gerald (December 5, 2019). "Members & Co-workers Letter". Philadelphia Church of
12. "What Happened to the 3-Year Hebrews Prophecy" (https://pcgwatch.com/grf/prophecy/2020/12/08/what-happened-to-hebrews.html). PCG Watch. December 8, 2020.
13. "Who is That Prophet (Part 1)" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyRp5ZPP7B8).
14. "The Plain Truth About Malachi's Message and That Prophet" (http://www.pcog.info/ptmmtp.htm).
15. Flurry, Gerald (2001). Who is "THAT PROPHET"?. USA: Philadelphia Church of God. pp. 20–
16. Flurry, Gerald (2007). Who Is "THAT PROPHET"?. USA: Philadelphia Church of God. pp. 64–
17. Flurry, Gerald (2018). The New Throne of David. USA: Philadelphia Church of God. p. 1.
18. Armstrong, Herbert (2009). The United States and Britain in PROPHECY. USA: Philadelphia
Church of God. p. 106.
19. Flurry, Gerald (2018). The New Throne of David. USA: Philadelphia Church of God. p. 1.
20. "The New Throne of David" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPGIXtVz36w)
21. Flurry, Gerald (2018). The New Throne of David. USA: Philadelphia Church of God. p. 22.
22. "The New Throne of David" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPGIXtVz36w)
Additional Research Sources:
1. The Philadelphia Church of God – CARM
2. The Philadelphia Church of God – Watchman Fellowship
3. The Philadelphia Church of God – Wikipedia
4. The Philadelphia Church of God official website