1. In 1998 Eastern Lightning members instigated eight riots that lasted for up to twelve days. During those riots Eastern Lightning members are alleged to have broken the arms and legs of several people, as well as cutting off their ears.
2. In 2002, Eastern Lightning reportedly posed as representatives of a theological institute in Singapore, in order to kidnap 34 Christian leaders, which they held captive for two months while trying to convert them.
3. In 2010 Eastern Lightning members murdered an elementary school student, a young boy, because one of his relatives wanted to leave Eastern Lightning.
4. In 2012 it was discovered that Eastern Lightning was behind 40 separate riots. Also that same year, an Eastern Lightning member who was motivated by your groups doomsday prophecies, stabbed and elderly woman and 23 students at a school in Henan.
5. In 2013, Eastern Lightning members ripped out the eyes of a young boy simply because his family tried to leave your group.
6. In 2014, six members of Eastern Lightning attacked and viciously stomped to death a young woman at a McDonald's restaurant for refusing to give them her telephone number. The lead attacker later said he “felt great” about the murder.
Additionally, there have been numerous reports coming from those who have escaped Eastern Lightning, of members being imprisoned, beaten, blackmailed, tortured, and poisoned for attempting to leave the group, and often for just talking about leaving or criticizing the group.
It is vitally important that Christians understand that Eastern Lightning is not, I repeat, not, a Christian organization. A quick examination of their beliefs bears this out. Among other decidedly unchristian beliefs, the group teaches:
1. Jesus Christ is a created being. (This is contrary to the Bible which teaches the Jesus actually is God, see John 1:1 and more.)
2. The Trinity is a false doctrine. (again, this is contrary to the numerous Bible passages that teach God is a Triune God, consisting of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.)
3. The Bible is outdated and not authoritative, and has been replaced by a new third testament, titled “The Word Appears in the Flesh.” (The Bible, however, teaches that the Word of the Lord endures forever – 1 Peter 1:25, so there is no need for a third testament. Additionally, Scripture warns repeatedly not to add to it, and doing so can result in eternal damnation in hell; see: Revelation 22:18-19; Deuteronomy 4:2; Proverbs 30:5-6; Deuteronomy 12:32. cf.: Matthew 22:29. Additionally, note 2 Timothy 3:16-17, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”. See also Galatians 1:8-9, “But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.”)
4. Jesus was the Christ for the previous kingdom, the kingdom of grace. He is dead, did not rise from the dead, and is not returning. (Again, this is contrary to biblical teachings which clearly states that belief in the resurrection of Jesus is a requirement for salvation; see Romans 10:9-10)
5. God has returned for this kingdom age, the “Christ for this age,” which is the age of judgment (the Eastern Lightning website states), and God has returned as a Chinese woman named Deng. (Scripture, however, states: “...If anyone says to you, 'Behold, here is the Christ,' or 'There He is,' do not believe him. For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect. Behold, I have told you in advance. So if they say to you, 'Behold, He is in the wilderness,' do not go out, or, 'Behold, He is in the inner rooms,' do not believe them. For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be.” – Mt. 24:23-27. And again, “For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.”)
6. Those who chose to follow this new Christ will ascend with her into heaven at the coming apocalypse. (note the Bible's response to number 5)
Clearly, Eastern Lightning, aka Church of the Almighty God, is not a Christian church. To be generous, extremely generous, I would say it is a pseudo-Christian group at best. At worst, it is a violent non-Christian cult.
I would encourage all who have been deceived by Eastern Lightning, and have found themselves engaged in a friendly relationship with Eastern Lightning members – even if only in an online setting – to remember the words of God in 2 Corinthians 6:14-17: “Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: 'I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people.'
“Therefore, 'Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.'”
And also the admonition of Ephesians 5:11, “And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.”
If you, who are reading this, happens to be a member of the Eastern Lightning, I would strongly encourage you to leave Eastern Lightning as soon as possible. Get as far away from it as possible, and turn to the true Messiah, Jesus Christ; for salvation is found in no one else, and by no other path. In John 14:6, Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through Me.” Unless you turn to Him and follow Him, you will die in your sins and suffer eternal damnation in hell – John 8:24).
The Bible says that we are all sinners (Rom. 3:23). This means that we have all offended God. We have all broken His law. Therefore, we are guilty of having sinned. Because of this, we are separated from God (Isaiah 59:2), are dead in our sins (Rom. 6:23, Eph. 2:3), cannot please God (Rom. 3:10-11), and will suffer damnation (2 Thess.1:9). The only way to escape this judgment is by receiving Christ – seek Jesus, and ask Him to forgive you for your sins. Repent of your sin (turn away from, and stay turned away from sin), and trust in what Jesus did for you on the cross (John 14:6, Acts 4:12, 1 Pet.2:24).
All Scripture, unless otherwise noted, are from the New King James Version® (NKJV). Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
All images courtesy of The Church of Almighty God (Eastern Lightning) websites.